Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Why start a blog?

My sister has Cerebral Palsy, which is a physical disability most commonly affecting motor control. I have a degree in Electrical Engineering, and love building things. 

It seems like a perfect fit, don't you think?

If you ask an Engineering student (or hobbyist, or hacker) why they chose their major, a common response might be some variation on, "to make the world a better place."  This is generic and vague to be sure, but the sentiment is respectable.  You're learning a field that puts you in a position to invent something, to create a device that makes someone else's life a little easier.  Maybe it's a new type of prosthetic limb, maybe it's the next-gen HD video camera.   Whatever the product, the goal is the same - to improve the quality of life on this planet.  My personal take on this is simple: my sister has difficulty using modern electronics with their tiny buttons and sensitive touch/tilt interfaces, so I'm going to see what I can do to help her out.

This blog was created to chronicle projects aimed at making it easier for disabled individuals, like my sister, to use common electronic devices.

It is my hope that this will be a place to see new ideas that haven't been tried before, or perhaps just a new take on an old idea.  Learn something from what I've done, or contribute an idea or tip/trick of your own. 

Okay, enough talk.  I've got warranties to void!

No comments:

Post a Comment